Using a laser/HP flashlight as a self-defense tool.

16 replies to this topic

#1 mountainmonkey334

4.99mW Green Laser Toy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Have you read the forum rules?:yes

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:54 AM

Hi, I work as a mobile guard in Norway, and as you may know, Norway is famous for its pacifism. That being said, we have absolutely no tools for self-defense except for kevlar gloves and cuffs, cba wearing a vest. One of the alternatives may be bringing a dog, but thats another story. A bit more background on my situation; Im always alone when on duty, and we have been bothered with several cases of eastern european organized criminals sneaking around at night robbin whatever they can find. They are known to be very desperate about getting away if noticed or caught in the act, if I'm the only thing standing in their way, there is a large chance they will assault. The right thing to do in such a case, is of course to back off immediately, but I fear a day will come when that wont be an alternative, and have therefore been looking at now lasers. Is this an acceptable tool when it comes to defending yourself? What kind of power would be appropriate in this kind of situation? I have been looking at this 1W arctic laser, but I doubt it fits my needs seeing as its extremely powerful (if im not utterly mistaken, I may have read some place that safety glasses are mandatory?). The goal is of course not to hurt anyone, but if its ultimately a matter of life or death I'm not worried about losing my job (obviously).

Would a high powered flashlight provide enough blinding power to stall an attacker without damaging eyesight, nor breaking the law? I have been looking at the torch, but for my use its battery time is absolutely non acceptable (5 minutes, I'd use it for inspecting areas too).. I have also noticed the beam is far from focused, are there any alternatives giving a more focused beam with improved battery time? Setting stuff on fire is not something I care about seeing as I will be using it for work, mostly.

Any thoughts or ideas? Has to be rechargeable.

#2 Hegelstad

Modified 10mW Greenie

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:32 AM

more focused beam equals more burning power, you'd want a lens that focuses it less. The artic laser has options to change lens if you buy an extra lens kit.

However, even using the laser as self defense, it wouldn't stop an assault, aiming at eyes in the rush hour is hard as well, and you do actually apply permanent eye damage to your assaulters. Pepper spray and electroshockers are much better alternatives than this.

Norge eier forresten :D
Lasers:
Green E3 - Ordered 7th of January - Recieved 30th august.

#3 mountainmonkey334

4.99mW Green Laser Toy

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:46 AM

Why are several replies removed? Is this usual practice? I can't see any statement as of why they were removed either.......

#4 CollinstheClown

The East Coast Stalker

• Verified Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationJust outside Philly

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

Because they mentioned/linked to other company's products. I don't know why mine was removed, I didn't link to or say any other company's names.

My suggestion stands though, a strobing flashlight would work well to disorient the possible attackers. The flashlight you bought has a 6 second warm up time, which might not be ideal.

I own the Torch and can say with out a doubt it will confuse and disorient an attacker. If not it's tough enough to just use it as a club. The short battery life does suck though. You could use a cheaper LED flashlight for walking around and only use the Torch as a deterrent or something.
Remember... WEAR THE DAMN GOGGLES!!
Need a new full power cap? PM me!

---CLICK FOR PICS---
60mW 473nm - Spyder III Pro BX
1000mW 445nm - Spyder III Arctic

1000mW 532nm - Spyder III Krypton
100mW 532nm - Spyder III Pro GX

75mW 532nm - Phoenix Series (x2)
5mW 532nm - Core
20mW 405nm - Sonar Elite (x3)
100mW 650nm - Pulsar P100

300mW 650nm - Spyder II Pro RX

200mW 808nm - E2
The Torch!

#5 Addict 7s

Modified 10mW Greenie

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Have you read the forum rules?:Yes

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:47 AM

Id get a MagLite for regular use. I have been hit by one, and they hurt ALOT.

As for temporary blinding, if you have any experience in electronics, id make some sort of contraption, maybe in the form of a pistol, with up to 4 disposable camera flashes at the end, closest to the said recipitent. If you were to do something like that, you'd need capacitors that are quick yet effective.

Thats the simplest way to do it, but probably the least effective.

#6 jhawins

Wicked Lasers God

• Verified Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:28 AM

View PostAddict 7s, on 12 February 2012 - 02:47 AM, said:

Id get a MagLite for regular use. I have been hit by one, and they hurt ALOT.

As for temporary blinding, if you have any experience in electronics, id make some sort of contraption, maybe in the form of a pistol, with up to 4 disposable camera flashes at the end, closest to the said recipitent. If you were to do something like that, you'd need capacitors that are quick yet effective.

Thats the simplest way to do it, but probably the least effective.
Camera flashes aren't very bright at all, so no that won't work. The attacker would just be like wth you idiot and ten kick you in the face.

#7 DrFehr

Elite Laser

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

That seems like a really good idea. Have about 4 capacitors power a strong light and speaker mechanism that resembles a gunshot to scare off intruders... Would be neat to have it set up to a tripwire laser in a hallway.

#8 cvbcbcmv

My eyeball was out of my head

• Verified Members
  • 4,108 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

Anybody who uses lasers regularly isn't blinded by camera flashes one bit. You get use to all of that brightness. If I go outside with friends and show them just like a 650nm I'm just like meh and they're like, "AHAHAHHAAH SOOOO BRIGHT!!!" It's amazing how our eyes get used to things.
I own 28 lasers, including a WL ARCTIC, KRYPTON 1W, and 473nm Spyder 3 Limited Edition WOOOT!!!
If you want your lasers power tested, PM me
If you need any help with your order, Email support@wickedlasers.com

#9 jhawins

Wicked Lasers God

• Verified Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

In my own personal opinion which others most likely won't agree with. If someone breaks into my house or tried to mug me or holds a gun to me or anyone near me... I personally believe a 1W krypton to the eyes isn't too far at all. It is self defense.

#10 Addict 7s

Modified 10mW Greenie

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

View Postcvbcbcmv, on 12 February 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

Anybody who uses lasers regularly isn't blinded by camera flashes one bit. You get use to all of that brightness. If I go outside with friends and show them just like a 650nm I'm just like meh and they're like, "AHAHAHHAAH SOOOO BRIGHT!!!" It's amazing how our eyes get used to things.
I understand what youre saying. I was stating it in the simplest, easiest way for an everyday person.

Say we had ourselves an expert in electronics , he could improve off of my idea to use a device with several bright LED's and other upgrades. Improvements are almost limitless.

I understand that a laser may be more powerful, but id rather not be in that situation and try to aim it at there eyes, since id probably be freaking out. Id prefer a gadget with a wider spread, even if power is lower. If its still strong enough to temporarily blind them, its fine with me.

To me, its like chosing a high powered rifle or a shotgun to use if being assaulted. Except in terms of a laser/flashlight.

#11 jhawins

Wicked Lasers God

• Verified Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:53 AM

View PostAddict 7s, on 12 February 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

I understand what youre saying. I was stating it in the simplest, easiest way for an everyday person.

Say we had ourselves an expert in electronics , he could improve off of my idea to use a device with several bright LED's and other upgrades. Improvements are almost limitless.

I understand that a laser may be more powerful, but id rather not be in that situation and try to aim it at there eyes, since id probably be freaking out. Id prefer a gadget with a wider spread, even if power is lower. If its still strong enough to temporarily blind them, its fine with me.

To me, its like chosing a high powered rifle or a shotgun to use if being assaulted. Except in terms of a laser/flashlight.
Well a high powered rifle or a shotgun would be of equal use to me if I was going to drop someone... In my own house anyway being short distance, so I don't really understand that analogy. But anyway like I said whatever strength laser you get over 5mW is going to hurt. If you get something in the 200+ range I'm sure it'll be extremely painful at the leat.

#12 MarkP90

Modified 10mW Greenie

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

I'm presuming firearms for self-defence aren't permitted in Norway? In the UK you have to have a 'good reason' for owning firearms and self-defence isn't accepted as a good reason, however, if someone, or many people, were breaking into your property and were meaning to seriously harm you it would be possible to get away with using a hunting/sporting firearm to defend yourself.

If they were legally available in my country i'd use pepperspray/a taser before a laser/flashlight, i thought all of Europe were allowed spray/tasers?

I can only speak for the UK, but if you blinded someone with a laser, especially if you were purposely carrying it for self-defence, you would get in serious, serious trouble. :ph34r:

#13 DrFehr

Elite Laser

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

Having just recieved mine, I can say without a doubt that I would use the Torch instead of a knife in self defense if the opportunity proposed itself.

If I were in your boots I wouldn't use it, for the same reasons.
Plus you cant leave it on for over 3 minutes or it gets seriously hot.

I would look into this MANTIS system that Wicked Lasers is supposedly working on.

#14 jhawins

Wicked Lasers God

• Verified Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

View PostDrFehr, on 13 February 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

Having just recieved mine, I can say without a doubt that I would use the Torch instead of a knife in self defense if the opportunity proposed itself.

If I were in your boots I wouldn't use it, for the same reasons.
Plus you cant leave it on for over 3 minutes or it gets seriously hot.

I would look into this MANTIS system that Wicked Lasers is supposedly working on.
The mantis is one of those out-of-the-ass ideas. Remember the sith? Kinda like that.

#15 LaserPwnter99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

View PostCollinstheClown, on 18 August 2011 - 10:50 AM, said:

Because they mentioned/linked to other company's products. I don't know why mine was removed, I didn't link to or say any other company's names.

My suggestion stands though, a strobing flashlight would work well to disorient the possible attackers. The flashlight you bought has a 6 second warm up time, which might not be ideal.

I own the Torch and can say with out a doubt it will confuse and disorient an attacker. If not it's tough enough to just use it as a club. The short battery life does suck though. You could use a cheaper LED flashlight for walking around and only use the Torch as a deterrent or something.
thats just retarded. this guy needs these products from other companys or he could die. do they not get it? they r forcing him to buy wicked lasers only, jeeze. wicked lasers doesnt have EVERYTHING!!!!

#16 cvbcbcmv

My eyeball was out of my head

• Verified Members
  • 4,108 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

View PostLaserPwnter99, on 14 February 2012 - 08:45 PM, said:

thats just retarded. this guy needs these products from other companys or he could die. do they not get it? they r forcing him to buy wicked lasers only, jeeze. wicked lasers doesnt have EVERYTHING!!!!
You are ridiculous.
I own 28 lasers, including a WL ARCTIC, KRYPTON 1W, and 473nm Spyder 3 Limited Edition WOOOT!!!
If you want your lasers power tested, PM me
If you need any help with your order, Email support@wickedlasers.com

#17 DrFehr

Elite Laser

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

View Postcvbcbcmv, on 14 February 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

You are ridiculous.
I think he's intentionally being dumb.

2 user(s) are reading this topic